“60 years dedicated to education.”

Imagen histórica 1
The history of the Colegio Alemán dates back to the 1920s, when a colony of Germans from Africa settled in Zaragoza and solved the need to educate their children and preserve their language and culture by creating a kindergarten.

Different grades for their children and those of some Zaragoza families, interested in a German-based education teaching style, were gradually incorporated over time. This made it the city’s first mixed language school. It was funded by the German government in the years leading up to World War II, when the school closed.

Zaragoza opened a new German school in 1956, receiving all funding for the new school from Germany; its director and kindergarten teachers were all German.

Imagen histórica 2
The school stopped receiving funding from the German government during the 1960/61 school year and lost its subsidy, since it meant that the students had to take the German entrance exams, something with which the parents at the time did not agree. The German faculty returned to their country. The Colegio Alemán Cultural Association, through its Board of Directors, managed to convince the German government to donate all the equipment (furniture, teaching materials, etc.) in order for the school to continue teaching German at all grade levels, with the same educational approach based on a blended, liberal education.

 

New teachers from Germany were recruited directly by the Association. Most returned to their country, although some continue to provide their services at the school today.

Through the massive efforts of teachers and administration, the Colegio Alemán grew and changed its location in response to that growth, from Calvo Sotelo 30 and Arzobispo Doménech to the Marín and Yaseli villa (today the Colegio Machado) to its current facilities at the Urbanización Torres de San Lamberto.

The Colegio Alemán Cultural Association was founded and registered in the Civil Register on 27 September 1956, modifying its bylaws in 1974, 1992, and most recently in 2012. The Association was created as a non-profit organization with the following purpose:

  1. The maintenance, management, organization and administration of the school called the Colegio Alemán, whose educational program and curriculum will include a focus on the German language and culture for children of both sexes.

  2. The diffusion and propagation of the German culture and language.

  3. The promotion of understanding among people and, in particular, the promotion of the European Union and the enhancement of the cultural relationships between Spain and Germany.

Imagen histórica 4
In 1987, the Goethe-Institut institution in Germany (equivalent to the Instituto Cervantes in Spain, The British Council in the United Kingdom, Dante Alighieri in Italy, Alliance Française in France and the Instituto Camões Institute in Portugal) awarded the Colegio Alemán Cultural Association license to test for and award its diplomas. The Association has since become the only official examining center of the Goethe-Institut in Aragón (Prüfungszentrum Goethe-Institut).

That same year, the Colegio Alemán Cultural Association opened its doors to all Zaragoza children (even if their parents are not members of the Association) who wish to begin or deepen their knowledge of German. In response to strong demand, the new Prüfungszentrum Goethe-Institut facilities on Paseo de Fernando el Católico 10 were inaugurated in October 2013.

Thus, the Colegio Alemán Cultural Association’s Board of Directors manages the Colegio Alemán and the Goethe-Institut’s Prüfungszentrum.